Product photos Guide
Firstly, if you have a product you wish to promote or market then you’re going to have to take some high-quality shots. If you plan on selling products on any of the ecommerce sites such as Amazon, eBay or Shopify, it means creating hi-quality, professional looking images. Most of these sites have strict requirements when it comes to the image quality of photographs. Setting the products up in a studio environment where a photographer has precise control over the lighting and background elements will be important. And, there are many different styles of product photography to consider. Some of the more common ones are:
- Fashion and apparel
- Industrial products
- Real estate
Clothing and apparel photography
Fashion photography can be done both on location and in a studio. It often involves working with a manufacturer or designer to show apparel at its best. It often involves taking photos of:
- One or more models on location or in a studio
- Shooting specific items, like handbags, hats, and other accessories
- Working with a stylist to get the best results
Moreover, taking pictures of clothing and other fashion items often requires an understanding of a brand and how best to show off any particular item of clothing. After choosing the right models, you will need to seek out appropriate interior or exterior locations or decide whether a studio-based photo-shoot would be best suited. Having a high-end camera and a quality lighting set-up is essential if you expect to produce quality images suitable for use on the web and for print. Similarly, product photography often means simply getting pack shots or capturing single images of items in a controlled studio environment.
Setting up and taking good pictures of food means you need to have a thorough and methodical approach. You need a good eye for styling and making sure that all visual elements are in place including:
- Camera settings, in particular aperture settings, which can create good depth of field – ideal for close-up shots and isolating subjects within a frame.
- Lighting has to be perfect as it impacts the final image the most. A full range of lighting modifiers and reflectors is often needed to illuminate items and get them looking good.
- A photographer’s knowhow in creating interesting background and foreground elements. Careful placement of all items within the frame with strong lines, colour theory and geometry.
Furniture and homewares photography
Newspapers and magazines are full of furniture and homewares photography, simply because there are so many retailers. Essentially, this means competition is strong so the product photography has to look great to differentiate the quality of one brand to the next.
Some of the most requested photos are:
- Sofas, tables and chairs
- Lamps, vases and accessories
- Towels and soft furnishings
- Outdoor furniture
- Kitchenware and taps
Some tips on Product photography
- Always make sure you have the right equipment. A good quality full frame camera is recommended along with a selection of lenses. So, perhaps standard 24-105mm lens would be a good choice along with a 70-200mm for close-up detail
- Always spend time lighting products correctly. Experiment with different lighting modifiers to see which different looks you can create
- Studio photography can be challenging. Do some research and learn as much as you can about the equipment you are using and workflows required
- If you don’t have the expertise then hire a professional photographer
Finally, product photography can be a very time consuming and frustrating experience for the uninitiated. So, take your time and try and plan out what you are trying to achieve. Use the very best photographic equipment you can lay your hands on and spend some time getting the lighting and styling elements perfect. Moreover, take your time and tap in to your creative side. Experiment and challenge yourself to come up with some original and creative images.
Contact a product photography Professional
If you need help with your products or you don’t have the equipment necessary to create hi-quality and engaging photos, contact us at Imagepro. We are an experienced commercial photography company in Perth, WA. Call or email us and let us show you how we can help with your next project.